Have you ever bought a toaster oven? Well, I have, and it’s been a game-changer in my kitchen ever since. I’ve always tried the traditional toasters that have two slots, but it felt one-dimensional. With a toaster oven, I have a lot more versatility.
I would love other homeowners to feel the same way. That’s why today, I’ll be sharing the best toaster oven list for 2020. This list will feature 5 best products and help you decide which one is the best for you!
Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Why do I think The Toaster Oven is a Lifesaver in the Kitchen?
As a long time cook, I have encountered many situations that were both stressful and annoying in the kitchen. A kitchen is a fragile place, and the dishes we cook can be a failure if we don’t maximize or utilize our equipment properly.
I’ve had a lot of problems with toasters, microwaves, and ovens throughout my career. Let me tell you one story. Back then, I owned a microwave which I used for heating cold dishes. Every time I tried to heat my food, there was always a cold spot in the middle or at the bottom of my food. I’m sure everyone has experienced this.
With a toaster oven, I felt that it was a lot better to “cook the food again” as opposed to heating it. That allows me to taste the maximum flavor of the food.
On the flip side, I also have burned so many toasts throughout my lifetime. Burning toasts is one of the most common ways to burn food, even the best chefs do it. However, that’s not because of ineptitude. Rather, it’s because toasters are really hard to use sometimes.
A lot of toasters can only toast two slices of bread. That’s a big flaw of toasters that I absolutely hate. Moreover, two slices of bread are not going to cut my diet.
I’m a big fan of large breakfasts, and I often eat a minimum of six slices of toasted bread given that I swim a lot. Who’s gonna wait to toast three batches of bread?
With a toaster oven, I can easily slide six slices and cook them at the same time. Truly, what a lifesaver it is!
More Benefits of a Toaster Oven
A toaster oven adds much more value to our life compared to a regular toaster. Think of it as a more versatile and efficient means for toasting. However, the toaster oven goes beyond toasting. Some homeowners tend to forget, which is why it’s important to know all of its strengths. Being acknowledged of such benefits will help you maximize your investment in a toaster oven!
Probably, the most critical factor that separates a toaster oven with the rest is its versatility. Toaster ovens can do a lot more things that are almost similar to the standard ones. Usually, the broiling and grilling features are what makes them similar.
As an example, here’s a video showing a tandoori chicken cooked in a toaster oven. Tandoori chicken is usually cooked in an oven, so this video shows how versatile it is.
The versatility of a toaster oven lies in how it’s constructed and how it is powered. The way a toaster oven heats food is quite similar to how a regular oven does, although it works on a much smaller scale.
It’s electronically powered, has a rack to place food, and has heating coils located further from the food. It’s like a baby-oven that is not designed to just fit in bread. Moreover, the toaster oven has a stronger heating power compared to a regular one.
However, a regular toaster can toast bread faster. That’s because its coils are closer to the bread compared to the toaster oven. With that said, toaster ovens are also much safer because it prevents your bread from burning.
Cooking Made Easy
As previously said, toaster ovens let you cook a lot of recipes that require a standard oven. Large-scale ovens are almost double or sometimes even triple the price of toaster ovens. Thus, you can virtually get the same results for a more reasonable price.
Some examples that you can cook in a toaster oven are pizzas, bacon, bread, eggs, cookies, nuts, vegetables, and so much more!
Here is a tutorial video on how to cook pizzas using a toaster oven.
The only thing holding back a toaster oven is its inability to slow-cook.
Slow cooking, or braising in chef’s terms, is tenderizing food by cooking it with low heat but with a long time. This long heating process allows tough meat cuts such as shanks and shoulders to be super soft and tender.
Unfortunately, a toaster oven cannot cook food slowly, especially tough cuts. Although it only needs a small amount of heat, it doesn’t have enough heating coils. A regular oven’s heating coils are efficient and strong enough to do the job.
Still, look on the bright side! Pizzas, bread, and bacon are already possible to cook. Not to mention, you can also put chicken wings and finish a steak in a toaster oven. All of these are great compensations for getting this fantastic product!
No Need For a Microwave
Microwaves are a standard in most households. It’s convenient and easy to use, but at the same time, it can be unnecessary. Think of it this way, would you still need a one-dimensional microwave if you have a toaster oven?
Microwaves do not cook food, let’s make that clear. Although it can cook a few minor ingredients, it cannot cook a balanced recipe. It only has a single heating component that heats the top of your food. That’s why you’ll often get a cold bottom if you microwave your food.
Here’s a tutorial on the differences between a microwave and a toaster oven.
With a toaster oven, there’s no need to stress about having cold food. Many professionals out there know if the food has been microwaved. However, a toaster oven will make your previously refrigerated food good as new.
The reason is, instead of heating food, it cooks our meals again. Truly, the toaster oven is not only a substitute for a microwave, it’s even better!
Now that we mentioned the toaster oven as a microwave alternative, it’s also important to note its size. A lot of toaster ovens are smaller than microwaves and definitely smaller than ovens. This is a big plus to any homeowner, especially since the kitchen can get really cluttered with a lot of appliances.
Toaster ovens give you a lot of options when it comes to size. Some are small enough to easily fit on your refrigerator’s top. Others, on the other hand, are large enough to fit a leg of lamb.
Still, the largest toaster oven is still better than a regular one that requires being installed inside a cabinet or within a countertop. Not to mention, toaster ovens can be a lot slimmer than bulky microwaves that take up a lot of space.
The size of a toaster oven can also correlate to its price. Of course, the bigger the toaster is, the more expensive it gets.
Thus, before buying a toaster oven, it’s important to know your purpose. Will you be only toasting bread and sandwiches with it? Are you going to maximize it by cooking mini pizzas and finishing steaks? Or are you going to use it for a business?
All of these are essential questions that will lessen your chances of buying the wrong toaster oven.
The 5 Best Toaster Ovens 2020
Below is the detailed product review section where I put my thoughts into why I choose each product. Hope you enjoy reading it and leave the comment below if there is anything you want to share with me:
1. OSTER Digital Convection Toaster Oven Review-Best Toaster Oven Under $100
This toaster oven from Oster features an interior that has the light inside for convenient viewing and digital controls. It is large enough to fit larger food such as pizzas or batches of cookies. It can fit pans that are 13 x 9 inches in size, to be exact.
It also has a removable crumb tray. The rack can also be set at two different positions. You can set it to whichever height is convenient for you at any given moment. It also includes a baking pan, which is a great addition to your kitchen. Its an affordable toaster oven and considered at the best toaster ovens under $100.
- The controls are digital – No worries about breaking buttons.
- Numerous functions – Broil, Bake, Defrost, Pizza Cooking, and more!
- Interior light – Easily monitor your cooking & make sure the perfect outcome every single time.
- Removable crumb tray – Easier to clean & get ready for the next batch of food.
- The interior light is sometimes automatically on when starting the oven – a little annoying but can be easily turn off.
- Hard to find the replacement rack – The manufacturer doesn’t sell any. Customers can buy but need to notice the gear’s dimensions.
- Big families, parties, massive outdoor meetings, anything that needs to cook huge batches of food without actually having to use a full-sized oven.
- People with a small kitchen. t’s still a countertop toaster oven so it doesn’t eat up as much space as a regular oven would.
2. Panasonic NB-G110P Flash Xpress Toaster Oven Review- Best Compact Toaster Oven
This toaster oven by Panasonic boasts its Flash Xpress technology that cooks faster than ordinary toaster ovens by 40%. It’s smart and can automatically calculate how much time your food needs to cook. It has 6 preset functions for quick, hassle-free heating.
It has a small footprint, so rest assured you’ll still have space left on your countertop after buying this. The front tray is removable and the interior is easy to clean since it’s nonstick. It can easily fit up to 4 bread slices or a 9-inch pizza.
- It is small and compact – You don’t have to sacrifice a lot of countertop space for this appliance. So, it’s the best compact toaster oven.
- It has two color choices: white and silver – It’s easy to make this toaster oven fit the aesthetic of your kitchen since these are neutral colors.
- It does not need to be preheated – The moment you turn it on, it heats up instantly. Great for people in a rush.
- It has an interior light – It’ll be easier to see what’s cooking inside and check its progress.
- It’s small – Not good for bigger families or for people who cook a lot of food using toaster ovens.
- Pricier than other ovens that are similarly sized.
- Small households. It doesn’t take up too much space.
- Lazy people. This toaster oven not requiring preheating is also a great plus.
3. BLACK+DECKER TO1303SB 4-Slice Toaster Oven Review
The BLACK+DECKER Toaster Oven prides itself on its EvenToast technology. It can simultaneously toast up to four bread slices evenly. It can also fit pizzas as big as 9 inches in diameter. This toaster has a timer that can go up to 30 minutes.
This oven has four functions, namely broiling, toasting, baking, and keeping your food warm. It includes a broil rack and a baking pan. It also has a crumb tray so you can conveniently throw out any mess before it becomes a problem.
- It is very affordable – This oven is hard to beat for the price point since it provides the most basic functions properly.
- The crumb tray is very convenient for easier cleanup.
- It is space-efficient – It doesn’t take up a lot of space on your countertop.
- The tray might be a bit too hard to clean.
- The cord is too short – This might be a problem if your countertop does not have a power outlet nearby.
- You have to set all three knobs for optimal output – This can be too complicated and inconvenient for some people.
- The first demographic that comes to mind is college students. It is a good option for budget but does not mean it skimps out on features. The toaster oven can toast well and evenly, plus it is also a space-saver.
- People with a little sum of money, living away from their homes. This toaster makes their dream dinner a reality due to its affordability, small size, and features that promise to deliver.
4. Hamilton Beach Toastation Oven Review
This household gadget from Hamilton Beach is the best of both worlds in one nifty appliance. It’s a toaster and an oven in one! The toaster that has a 1 ½ inch slot which can fit two slices of bread, bagel, you name it. The oven can fit two 16-inch slices of pizza with ease.
It’s very affordable but also really stylish as it comes in both black or red. You can easily make it match your living space’s aesthetic. It includes a baking pan and it also has a removable crumb tray for convenient and easy cleaning.
- It’s very stylish – It offers two different color choices: black and red.
- It has a two-in-one functionality – No need to buy two separate appliances that’ll only clutter up your countertop.
- It automatically shuts off when it’s done – It saves you energy, preventing additional electricity costs in the long run
- It has a crumb tray – Cleaning becomes hassle-free.
- The oven section is considerably smaller than most toaster ovens. ○ This is primarily because of the added toaster function. ○ If you’re looking for a full-fledged toaster oven for bigger meals, this isn’t for you.
- It doesn’t toast as evenly as other models.
- People who want both a toaster and an oven. This will also save money and countertop space since it already has both functions.
- People who don’t particularly care for cooking big meals in their toaster ovens. It’s not only extremely affordable for a two-in-one product but also good for heating up 2/3 slice of food.
5. Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven Review
This toaster oven from Breville boasts its Element IQ cooking technology. It guarantees that your food will be cooked faster and more evenly. This oven offers nine different functions, letting you cook your food just the way you like it.
The nine functions are pre-set with the heat needed but you can customize the output to your tastes as well. Furthermore, the interior is non-stick and you can adjust the rack to three different positions. It has an LCD screen so you can easily read the information you need.
- It automatically shuts off and has a sound that alerts you when it’s done – You will no longer forget about your food in the oven, leaving it cold!
- It has a large capacity to fit larger meals.
- It has a magnetic auto-eject rack – This makes it easier to get your food out, lessening the risk of accidental burns.
- It comes with three accessories – Specifically, it comes with a broil rack, a pizza pan, and a baking pan.
- It has no interior light – It’ll be harder to see what’s cooking inside which can potentially lead to some mishaps.
- It’s at a higher price point compared to the other ovens on this list.
- People who like to experiment and play with oven settings. While it has nine presets, the fact that you can customize it to your desire is a plus.
- People who don’t mind spending a bit more for added features. This oven almost has it all, except an interior light.
And the Winner of the Best Toaster Oven 2020 Award Goes To…
The Oster Convection Toaster Oven wins with its fair price point that does not skimp out on features. It’s arguably the most efficient oven since it’s got a large capacity, a decent number of presets, and an interior light. Interior lights are quite an uncommon feature when it comes to toaster ovens.
The cons for the Oster oven is just a question of convenience, and if you can look past these, it’s probably the best option here. In addition to this, the Oster Toaster Oven also looks sleek and classy with its black exterior and digital buttons.
However, if space is a problem and you’re looking for a smaller oven, the Panasonic Flash Xpress oven is worth a look. It’s quite feature-packed as well, at a smaller scale. It’s also unique due to how it doesn’t need to be preheated before use, saving you time.
With toaster ovens, it’s important to keep in mind what you plan to use them for. Of course, buying a bigger oven is tempting since you’ll never know when you’ll need that extra capacity. However, this also means you need to pay extra.
By keeping in mind your capacity to own a toaster oven, you can make a more informed purchase. This also takes into factor your budget, available space, and the meals you would usually cook in a toaster oven.
Toaster ovens take up a lot of space in your kitchen, while convection ovens are usually built into the kitchen counter.